Friday, December 1, 2006

I'm beautiful, and I'm here!


Good GOD I love the theatre!

Last night, my dear friend Darla and I went to see The Color Purple on Broadway. Loved the movie, loved the book, and wasn't sure what to expect from a musical version. After an enjoyable, but not overwhelmingly spectacular first act (mostly weakened by a disjointed feeling in the script, NOT the performances), Act 2 was OUTSTANDING. Watching Celie be beaten down by life throughout Act 1 was necessary, but it was watching her transformation through act two that was magic on stage!

The first act ended with Shug giving Celie all the letters from Nettie. Act 2 opened with a spectacular scene in which Celie, through reading Nettie's letters, was transported to Africa. They created a parallel between Sofia's encounter with the white Mayor's wife and the political unrest in Africa to move the story along. It was exciting to see how they pulled off what Speilberg did so well on film!

Sofia (Felicia P. Fields) stole the show. Her song "Hell No!" was an anthem to women standing up to even the thought of a man raising his fist to her. After the show, the cast did a curtain speech to collect money for their annual fundraiser for Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS and she was in the lobby collecting money. What a vivacious and gorgeous woman! Here's a picture of her taking the donation that Darla and I made.

I was reduced to a heaving, wimpering, cry-baby with Celie's big moment in Act 2 when, after all she had been through, and all the wrongs she had endured, she was able to stand up and sing--

"I am thankful for knowing who I really am.


I'm beautiful, yep, I'm beautiful,


And I'm here!"


I could go to the theatre 7 days a week if I had the money to suport the habbit!

No comments: