Sunday, December 10, 2006

Another random memory...

Life is made up of moments that need to be given our attention
Been thinking about one of those a lot lately:

High school trip to Mexico, 1986
Touring around, seeing the sights
Spied a group of homeless people, passivly and humbly begging
First reaction, take a photo to show Mom how sad the poverty was--how the poor people looked there
Second reaction, asked young woman if she would mind if I took her picture
Shocked when she said no
The look on her face pierced my heart-- can see it still, reminding me of how careless I was. It shamed her for me to ask
It was a profound moment I will never forget--so quick and thoughtless, but so much impact on me
Wish I could take it back
But I learned something important in that moment
Pride - Dignity - Humility - Arrogance - Compassion
I didn't get it then -- I try to now.

1 comment:

adrienne said...

I worry about the folks who have those kinds of moments and actively choose not to get it, not to care, not to make empathic leaps.

I give my last final to my big class tomorrow morning, finish grading, and then I can finally get about processing everything and will really be wanting to talk. Hope I didn't stay quiet so long as to lose my place in line. :)