Saturday, December 9, 2006

Ashes Among the Aspens, Please....








One of my happiest memories is a family camping trip when I was about 10 or 11 years old. The original plan was to drive the trailer ("Post's Hole," named after the couple we acquired it from) to Aspen, but we stumbled across an isolated meadow with a stream flowing through it, nestled in a mountain valley near Cottonwood Pass.

There were no other people around, giving us what seemed like the whole world to ourselves. The storybook view was made perfect by the beaver that had built its dam there and seemed to welcome our unexpected intrusion. We ended up staying there for the entire trip rather than continue on to Aspen. We hiked up into the aspen and spruce groves, played near the stream, made s'mores, sat by the fire-- all the usual camping fun.

I fell in love with aspen trees that weekend. Ever since, I have found an amazing sense of peace among the aspen groves, and when the time comes, I want to have my ashes scattered somewhere deep in the Colorado Aspens.

I found these images on a random website I came across while googling for pics of aspens... While they're not actually the place we camped, they are from the Cottonwood Pass area, and they look pretty damn close.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Aspen time would be about the only thing I miss from Colorado - except for the people at a time that can never be replicated. I surely don't miss Winter out there.

Unknown said...

I REALLY miss the Colorado winters. I miss the snow, the mountains in the snow, the snow days, the peppermint schnapps laced hot chocolate --- OOOH!! How about Bailey's Hot Chocolate! I miss the ski lodge when my legs ache from a day of skiing, and I miss going back out for one more run, even though I don't think my body can take it anymore... If it's going to be winter, and cold, I want SNOW DAMMIT! I hate wet, cold rain in winter!