Sunday, April 6, 2008

Impromptu Starbucks Harmonica Concert

THIS is one of those times when a person is grateful that they have a video camera within reach!

I was sitting in Starbucks near my house doing some work for my FY09 Annual budget at work. NOT fun, but necessary. I've been working on and off since 8am this morning, and was starting to get a little grumpy about it.

Then this nice old guy asked for directions to the library, where I guess there's some sort of free concert today. Another customer and I were giving him directions, but he was having some trouble following what we were saying. The gal at the table next to me said she was heading over there and offered to let him follow her.

The guy was so happy for all the assistance, and I suspect just happy for the conversation, that he offered us a song. He pulled out his harmonica and played away!

Before it was over he treated us to 3-4 different songs, and was clearly happy to have an audience.

I was psyched that I had my Flip camcorder within reach and got the whole thing.

It was a very simple exhange all around, but one that really made me feel good. A rare moment when 4 strangers came together at a point in time and shared something completely simple yet powerful enough to chage the emotional direction of the day for all involved.

I took a break from working on the budget and made a little movie about it. while it's still fresh in my mind. Turn up the sound on your computer-- I'm not sure how clear it all comes through.

Enjoy!

No comments: