Saturday, November 25, 2006

"THE HYPOCRISY OF PUBLIC MORALITY" -- More on "Spring Awakening"





I have continued to think about "Spring Awakening" throughout the day. The more I think about it, the more I like it. I picked up the original (non-musical) play and found a comprehensive study guide online at Grademaker.com.

The introduction really helps me make sense of the complex intertwined themes. Edward Bond (translator) draws the conclusion that the protrayal of the grown ups/teachers intends to show that education in our society is backwards, and meant "to STOP people asking questions." When people have ideas of their own, the establishment (government, gorwn-ups, parents, teachers) become threatened and do what they can to squash individual interpretation and thinking. This is especially true in sexuality education. One of the central themes of this show demonstrates what can happen when important knowledge is withheld becaue of "the hypocrisy of public morality."

Seriously, I really was moved by this show. I hope it makes it...

No comments: