Wednesday, November 22, 2006

A Lesson on the Depth and Durability of Friendship


I was recently contacted by an old friend from high school It seems she found me through my MYSPACE PAGE . I was shocked to hear from her after all these years!

High school was a tough time-- like THAT'S unique!-- so I always have mixed feelings when I think back to those years. But Adrienne was an enigma, in all the right ways. She was one of those people that everyone was fascinated by and friendly with. She had friends across social groups, and was thought of as one of those "individual" types that broke all the rules without alienating anyone. At least that's how it seemd to me back then. She even had a special page about her in the yearbook. I never knew what to think about her interest in me as a friend, and it was always a little hard for me to fully let my guard down with her. I told her that once, and it hurt her, to the point that she wrote about it in my yearbook.

We ran into each other once a few years after graduation, and had a cordial chat, but I never saw or heard from her again, although I have thought of her often and fondly through the years.
Anyway, Adrienne went out of her way to track me down and make contact. Can it really take 20 years (!?!?) for me to recognize the value of a friend? It's amazing what how high school f#^%s with our heads. I wonder how many other people in my life have drifted away because I was afraid?

It was odd timing as well, because I had just recently dug out my high school yearbook and also came across the hand-made card she gave me on my 18th birthday. A picture of the cover is above.

I'm SO GLAD we have come back into each other's lives. I am looking forward to getting to know her all over again!

1 comment:

adrienne said...

Still so very touched by your words ... and disturbed by my own (and my drawing!).