Monday, May 5, 2008

Martin's Monday Morning Movie Musings

Lars and the Real Girl- Wow! I loved this movie on so many levels. It is absolutely NOT what you expect from the summary, quoted here from Netflix:

"Ryan Gosling plays the title character in this oddball comedy about a delusional young man who buys a life-size sex doll over the Internet -- and then falls in love with her. When the besotted young man starts telling people that the doll is his girlfriend, his brother and sister-in-law decide it's time to intervene in this film co-starring Patricia Clarkson, Emily Mortimer, Kelli Garner and Paul Schneider."

It is not raunchy, dirty, or even remotely risque, despite the "sex doll" plot element. It is a film about family, loss, coping, mental illness, and above all, compassion that extends beyond simple interpersonal relationships to the community level.

Ryan Gosling is probably the most under-rated actor of his generation, and I like Patricia Clarkson more and more every time I see her!

A real "gem." I watched it twice!

Dumbo- Everyone knows the story, so no need to recap the plot. However, I do have two comments:

1) I miss my Mommy!

2) The film was made in 1941? I woudl have guessed square in the 60's. You can't tell me that "Pink Elephants on Parade" is not the result of an acid or mushroom trip! Maybe opium?

No comments: