Monday, May 5, 2008

Bill Moyers: I've never seen anything like this

Dad and I argue frequently over politics-- typical, I suppose. We also often find ourselves both a little more to the moderate end of the scale in our respective liberal v. conservative, blue vs. red, young vs. old, left vs. right (right vs. wrong???) positions.

He surprised me the other day by NOT falling into the moderate "safe zone" when I asked him about his (and other Hoosiers') views on the Rev. Wright silliness in the media.

I truly think the media is fabricating an absurd story by suggesting that Senator Obama's past association with Wright somehow conveys a parallel point of view. As if associating with someone makes you guilty of sharing a brain with them or something. I thought, being as smart as he is, that he would see through the snow-job.

I do NOT believe that the response to the Rev. Wright situation can be measured in black and white (no pun intended). Race is a complex issue, and it is IMPOSSIBLE to understand the complexities when we deal with it only in absolutes. I do not agree with most of what Rev. Wright says, but I get where it comes from. To me, that seems like the first step in a better understanding.

Bill Moyers nails it... Especially in the last few minutes of this essay.
Brilliant!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bill Moyers is a weenie!

Anonymous said...

Falwell, Haggie, Robertson and Wright are all weenies too!

Unknown said...

If they are all weenies, where was the media frenzy and outrage when McCain stuck his now up their asses and graciously accepted their endorsement?!?!?!

HYPOCRISY! Nobody suggested that McCain shared their backwards neanderthal views.

Unknown said...

Ugh! Typo in previous comment.

Should have said "McCain stuck his NOSE up their assses..."

I hate when I try to make an indignant rant and stumble over my fingers while typing! loses some of the "oomphf!"

Anonymous said...

McCain is a weenie too!

The press are the biggest weenies of all!