Thursday, January 18, 2007

My Feature Film Debut...

Well, it's not quite as exciting as that, but I WAS an extra in one small scene, and the camera does pan right past my face.

A few years ago, an independant filmmaker called me at the NMF and asked for a meeting. It turns out that he was in the early stages of producing a movie about the short but inspirational life of his brother, nicknamed "Mo"(also the name of the film) that had died from complications related to Marfan syndrome just weeks before scheduled surgery that would likely have given him the hope of a full life-span.

Not knowing what to expect, I agreed to read the script to be sure that they were accurately representing the Marfan information because they wanted to make sure that the opportunity to educate more people about the disorder was not lost. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the screenplay, as were other people at the Foundation that read it.

As time went on, I was peripherally involved, and arranged for them to come to the NMF annual conference with the actor chosen to play Mo (Erik Per Sullivan) so he could meet teens with Marfan syndrome in preparation for the role. They also invited me to be an extra in the film, and to visit the set. It was very exciting for me to watch the production up close.


Here's a photo of me and Erik with filmmakers Brian and Monica Lederman in Philadelphia last summer.


Most people know Erik from his roles in Malcom in the Middle, Cider House Rules, and Unfaithful, but you can click here to see his full screen bio. It also stars Margo Martindale and Adam LeFevre.

Last sunday I was invited to a special "friends and family" screening of the film. They did such a wonderful job bringing Mo's story to the screen, and I was thrilled to see my name on the closing credits in the special thanks section, along with an acknowledgment of the NMF. I wish them all the luck in the world as they shop the film around the film festival circuit trying to find an audience for it, and I look forward to working with them to take advantage of the potential visibility of the film to raise awareness of Marfan syndrome. You can visit the website for the film to find out more about the project.

1 comment:

adrienne said...

Cool!!!! Congratulations. And consciousness-raising through the arts is always a good thing!