Sunday, July 29, 2007

OMG, I sat with Newt!

Newt Gingrich was the keynote speaker for the Genetic Alliance. I'll add more about some of what he said later, but I must share the way we met. One of the staffers was teaching people to knit as a way of communing with others and relaxing at breaks. I was learnign how to cast on and knit my first row, when I looked up and Newt was standing there watching. I was laughing inside. He commented that he had heard that it was known to lower the blood pressure, and I noted that mine seemed to be going up a little (it was partly because I really don't have a history of liking this man, and partly because I was concentrating on the needles so hard). He said I would probably feel the benefit once I got better. Does Newt Knit??? I doubt it. But it's kinda fun to be able to say that when brought face to face with one of the most visible faces of the Republican Party, we talked about knitting, not politics!

No comments: