Sunday, May 24, 2009

Work Ethic

Matthew and I were standing just inside a movie theatre, waiting for my friend to join us. A theatre employee (supervisor of some sort, I assumed) opened the door and said to the young man standing outside (pictured above), "When do you want to take your break?"

Matthew and I both gave a double take and shook our heads in wry amusement....

(In case you can't really see in the photo, the kid was drinking an iced coffee, texting, AND smoking a self-rolled cigarette.)

I have to hope that the supervisor was kidding, perhaps in a passive-aggressive attempt at snark, but we really don't think so.

P.S. He was wearing a Webelos cap. (Webelos are those in-between kids transitioning from cub scouts to boy scouts.) Here's somethign I found describing the objective of the Webelo Scouts: "Our Webelos den has been very exciting to watch as the boys change from being squirrely 3rd graders mostly intent on running around and playing to being a patrol that can recognize a goal, the requirements to fulfill the goal, and the ambition to accomplish the goal."

No comments: